With our internal medicine physician in McKinney, Texas,we have catered to multiple patients facing acute illnesses, such as acid reflux. This condition occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) remains open after the food passes through it, making the stomach acid move up the esophagus. As a result, a person may feel heartburn or a sense of burning pain in the chest.
What Causes It?
Many factors can lead to acid reflux, but these will likely increase its risks:
- Certain foods and beverages (e.g., alcohol, fatty foods, citrus, etc.)
- Medication side effects (e.g., muscle relaxers, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)
- Inappropriate body positions during or after eating heavy meals
What Are the Symptoms
You might need professional help if your notice these signs:
- Vomiting with blood
If you experience acid reflux twice a week, a doctor may diagnose you with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). But if not, these treatments might be recommended:
- H2 blockers
- OTC drugs (e.g., alginates, antacids, etc.)
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)
When left untreated, acid reflux may develop into more serious complications. Hence, it’s best to get the needed medical attention right away. At Ken Park MD PLLC, we offer acid reflux treatments and care for our patients in Texas. We dedicate ourselves to the health prevention & promotion of our community and beyond.
Give us a call for an appointment!